I'd like to introduce our first "Tuesday at the Tiki Hut" guest blogger, Amanda Young!
Amanda Young is a multi-published, erotic romance author. All of her books are steamy and not for the faint of heart. Since she tends to write whatever strikes her whimsy, all of her novels fall into various subgenres. Among her titles you'll find contemporary, manlove, and paranormal.
Basically, she writes stories about men and women who love indiscriminately and wholeheartedly. Her characters are never perfect; they're flawed and oftentimes troubled. Which makes it that much more satisfying when they receive the happy ending we all deserve. No matter what genre her books fall into, she can guarantee they'll end with a happily ever after. In her opinion, it's just not a romance without one.
Amanda's latest release is RECKLESS SEDUCTION (just released last Wednesday!)
Thanks DeNita, happy to be here!
One of my favorite things about writing M/M romance is the ability to write outside the box. The characters don't have to be the typical alpha male found in other genres.
In my opinion, the idea of physical beauty in this day and age is a little skewed. Instead of smooth, flawless skin and gym-toned bodies, I've always been drawn to a different sort of man. The kind of man who's built like a brick sh*thouse and covered in hair. That's right—Bears. There's nothing sexier to me than a hairy chest and a solid masculine body. Michael Angelo's David be damned, I want to explore the allure of brawny men who can bench-press their own weight plus that of their partner.
For my next series, I'm planning to focus on big strapping men with even bigger hearts. There will be Bears, and Otters, and Wolves—oh my. For those of you who don’t know the terminology, I thought I would share some definitions (as I understand them) with you. If these are wrong in any way, or if you have any to add, please feel free to leave a comment.
Bear - a hairy man with a stocky or heavyset build and facial hair. Can be clean shaven
and of any age.
- Cub - a younger (or younger looking) version of a Bear, typically but not always with a smaller frame. The term is sometimes used to imply the passive partner in a relationship. Can be hairy or hairless.
- Gobi - A male, often heterosexual, who is often in the company of bears. Likened to a Goldilocks.
- Daddy bear - is an older guy sometimes looking for a daddy/son relationship with either a younger Bear, Cub, Otter, Wolf or Chaser.
- Goldilocks - A female, often heterosexual, who is often in the company of bears (a bear's fag hag).
- Leatherbear - A bear with a leather fetish.
- Muscle bear - a muscular version of a Bear. A muscle cub is a younger or smaller, yet muscular, version. Can be hairy or hairless and of any age.
- Otter - a man who is hairy, but is not large or stocky - typically thinner, or with lean muscle. Slimmer version of a Bear with little pockets of fat like love handles or a tiny gut, but not as lean as a Wolf.
- Panda bear - a bear of Asian ethnicity. A panda cub is younger version. Usually hairless.
- Pocket bear - A short Bear.
- Polar bear - a silver- or white-haired Bear.
- Wolf - A lean, masculine gay man who is attracted to bears and involved in the bear scene.
- Woof - A greeting often used when a Bear spots another Bear in public and wants to express physical attraction. He might make a growling noise ("Grrr!") or say "Woof!"